Employment at Heartland CARES means that you are part of a dedicated team that consistently strives for excellence in delivering health care services and social service support to individuals and families impacted by HIV/AIDS.
Heartland CARES, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Heartland CARES will post job listings on this page as they become available.
Position: Medical Case Manager
Department: Medical Case Management
Reports To: Medical Case Management Team Leader
The position of Medical Case Manager at Heartland CARES consists of goal-oriented
activities that create, locate, coordinate, and/or monitor a wide range of HIV/AIDS related
health and human services. The Medical Case Manager assists HIV-positive individuals to
gain timely access to medically appropriate medical, psychological, social and other
services. S/he also functions as part of a multi-disciplinary team and assists clients in
reducing treatment adherence barriers. Continuity of care is achieved through ongoing
assessment of clients’ and key family members’ needs and personal support systems.
• Conduct comprehensive assessment of needs for clients including verification of income, residency, HIV status, household size, and insurance for Part B eligible clients
• Development of an Individualized Care Plan to address client needs; update the individualized plan with client participation every six months
• Provide a range of client-centered services that result in a coordinated care plan which links clients to medical care, psychosocial, and other services such as:
o facilitating access to transportation to get to scheduled appointments, if needed
o accessing medications through the Kentucky AIDS Drug Assistance Program (KADAP) and/or Patient Assistance Programs, if needed
o facilitating interventions to address client issues such as medication compliance, adherence and risk reduction, as well as patient education
o being an advocate for the clients
o following up with reminders and other communications concerning Part B services, as necessary
o linking clients to external agencies that provide utility and housing assistance, health insurance support, and assistance with basic human needs when necessary
o reviewing of services that are eligible under Part B.
o participation of a multidisciplinary medical team, with a specific role of assisting clients in following their medical treatment plan
• Maintain regular contact with all clients assigned through a variety of means, including mail, phone, face to face visits, and record communications in appropriate electronic records systems
• Work collaboratively with external partners and funding agencies to advance the ability of Heartland CARES to address client needs
• Ensure compliance with quality patient care and regulatory requirements and grantor performance measures
• Adhere to departmental goals, objectives, standards of performance and all policies and procedures
• All other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s (required) or Master’s (preferred) degree in nursing (RN) currently licensed in Kentucky OR
• Bachelor’s (required) or Master’s (preferred) degree in social work from a program accredited by the Kentucky State Board of Social Work Examiners OR
• Licensed practical nurse licensed in Kentucky OR
• Minimum one year experience in nursing, case management or social work; or any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Maintain any and all required/necessary required certifications or licenses
• Detail-oriented and outcomes-driven
• Work both independently and collaboratively in teams to meet client needs and promote progress toward goals
• Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to patients and colleagues
• Effectively counsel and educate others
• Effectively document case notes for all interactions with clients in a timely manner
• Computer literate and competent in the use of Microsoft Office, database systems, and electronic charts
• Have valid driver’s license in state of residence and be insurable to drive Heartland CARES’ vehicles
• Exhibit sensitivity to the needs of those who are ill and/or have a disability
• Effectively tolerate stressful situations and a fast-paced work environment
• Interact effectively and consistently with a diverse group of people of different cultures, ages, genders, sexual orientations, disabilities, races and religions
• Accommodate occasional travel, including overnight and multiple days, to meet the requirements of the position
• Lift up to 25 lbs
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com